Here’s a recipe that is fairly simple and economical to make. So if you are planning to cook for a larger crowd this recipe should “fit the bill”.
The size of the pork loin is going to be dependent on the number of guests. As a guide figure 9 oz. of uncooked meat per serving per adult. When cooked this will yield about 5 to 6 oz. of meat. Along with sides this should be plenty.
Note, this recipe can be used with pork tenderloin also but it will not be as economical. Better off using the loin. Also it is best to prep the loin the night before to allow the seasoning to penetrate the meat and to allow the injection to migrate through the loin evenly.
- One pork loin
- Butcher Pork Injection
- Smokin Gun’s Hot Rub
- Thick cut bacon
- Blues Hog Original BBQ Sauce
- Trim the fat off the loin.
- Inject the loin with Butcher’s Pork Injection in accordance with the label (only add water and do not add anything else).
- Wrap the bacon around the loin covering all areas. To anchor the bacon to the loin you can use toothpicks.
- Put the loin in the refrigerator and let sit overnight.
- The next day start up your grill or smoker and bring it up to a temp of 250 degrees.
- Check out our article for indirect cooking. (link)
- We like to use 50% apple and 50% peach wood or either for smoking.
- Place the loin in the smoker or on the grill.
- Cook to an internal temp of 145 degrees.
- Remove the loin from the smoker.
- If using a smoker start up a gas grill and set to high heat.
- On a charcoal grill you can use the side where the coals were placed for indirect cooking.
- Remove the bacon and reserve.
- Once the grill is good and hot place the loin on the grill and sear the exterior. Keep moving the loin so you don’t cook the interior and further.
- Once the loin has nice color from searing remove from the grill.
- Liberally coat the exterior with Blues Hog Original BBQ Sauce.
- Place the meat back on the smoker. If using a grill place back on the indirect side.
- Let it sit in the smoker for 10 minutes to “set” the sauce.
- Remove from the smoker or the grill and let it rest for 3 minutes then slice into ½” thick medallions.
- Don’t throw the bacon away!! Save it. Use it for other recipes or for breakfast. It will be the best bacon you ever had.